~Being the Mother of a boy, last from son up...to son down~

the count down begins

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

There are 15 days left before my Bubba will walk across the stage and out the doors of his Middle School for the last time. I must say this is effecting me much more than I thought it would. It's an entire new phase in his life (and mine).

So much is changing so fast. He is going to Kentucky for almost 2 weeks the day after school lets out to spend time with my family. Then he will head off to church camp in July. He also will be working some this summer to save up money to buy a truck...WHAT?!? ......let me go back and re-read what I just typed.....did I really actually type that MY son is getting a job to save money for a truck! There is NO way that I am old enough to have a son old enough to need to get a job to buy a truck!!!!! Oh, Lord, I think I need to be medicated right now!

...sad for me but it is true.

Kyle is excited to turn 14 in July, become a Jr. Firefighter and start working for a farmer that we go to church with. He worked there last summer and I have to say, that boy worked his butt off and was so dirty when I picked him up every afternoon he had to presoak to get clean. He earns $75.00 a week cash money which I think is good money for his age....but I let him blow most of it on mud tires for the 4 wheeler and games for the play station....but this summer it will all be put away into his saving account.(highly recommend gettting your child a saving account and let them know thay have one as soon as theya re old enough to learn about money)

But this summer he has his eye on the prize....a 1996 Chevy extended cab with duel exhaust, with a 2 inch lift kit, mud tires, metal tool box and even a dog box(not sure why he thinks he needs a dog box Chevy isn't going to jump out and run off anywhere)...must just be the cool factor. Why he is dying to have this truck is beyond me but he has loved a Chevy truck since he could talk. And I bet all of you are wondering how I knew all this useless info to type it out...well, it's becuse Kyle has drilled into my head non stop since he could talk!

So in a few weeks, I will be the mother of a High Schooler. It breaks my heart to know in 4 short years he will be packing up and leaving home to start his own life. I know to some of you 4 years seems like a long time but when I sit and think of how fast the past 4 years have flown by I will be an empty nester in no time.

{{tear}}

5 comments:

Tara said...

It makes me want to puke every time I think about Andrew starting kindergarten. Ughhh. At least Kyle has some goals and isn't afraid of working to achieve them. Being a jr. firefighter, doing manual labor on a farm to buy a truck...girl, you are lucky. Kids these days just want everything handed to them. While I know what you mean about him growing up, you can look back and see the good job you've done as a parent.

Bridget said...

Yep, they grow up way too quick. It's great that he has goals and plans! It won't be long before I'll be typing this post, myself...sniff, sniff..

Bossy Betty said...

Oh Stop! You're going to make me cry! I only have one year left with my baby and to me it seems like he should just now be graduating middle school!

Mary said...

Wow high scool! He sounds like a great kid. You should be proud mama! :)

Angie said...

OMG I'm FREAKING out about Junior high!! Don't even get me started on High School!!! I'm sooo not going to be ok! It's going to require more then meds!! HA! ;)

Post a Comment

Say what?!?