~Being the Mother of a boy, last from son up...to son down~

Hurricane Floyd-1999

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

This week marks the ten year anniversary of Hurricane Floyd. I hate to say it but I witnessed this storm up close and personal as it slammed the eastern part of North Carolina.

It was my first experience with a Hurricane so I was not really sure what to expect. We new it was heading our way and that it could get bad. But I didn't know just how bad. Chris had been sent to the Outer Banks in Dare County to help evacuate the coast which left Kyle and I at home to weather the storm.

The rain started early that morning but I went on to work dropping Kyle off at daycare, he was only 2 1/2 at the time. I don't remember the rain stopping the entire day and by 3 that afternoon my work decided to close. I picked up Kyle and headed home. When I pulled up in the driveway I was greeted by my neighbor next door saying that our Chow (who we had to keep in a dog pen at the time) was up to her stomach in water. Once I had her dry and safe in our shed I headed in side. I stayed glued to the TV the entire night. Chris called as much as he could with orders on what I needed to do.....fill the tub with water, fill ever empty container I had with water, flash lights fresh batteries, propane for the grill and canned foods. I wasn't really that worried at the time I guess because I wasn't sure what to expect, I mean how long could it really last????? The next day everything will be back to normal....right???????

Nice thinking on my part but.......WRONG!!!!!!!

Later that evening the rain and wind were pounding every window in the house and it was so load I couldn't have slept even if I wanted to. We lost power around midnight so I layed with Kyle in our bed until the wind got so bad I was afraid the windows that were right over the bed were going to break. I grabbed Kyle, pillows and blankets and headed for the hallway. We were renting an older home in town at the time, you know the kind that has a door you can close from the livingroom to the hall.....so I closed all the bedroom doors, bathroom and livingroom doors thus leaving us barracaded in the hall. And that were we stayed until Chris made it home and to our rescue!

We all slept in the hall that night and when the sun came out the next morning it was a horrible sight. Tree's and powerlines were down everywhere. All the major roads and bridges leading in and out of our town were flooded or washed out. There was no way in......and no way out of or town!

The water began to rise and buildings, business and homes were flooded. Dead livestock floated down the roads along with a few coffins that had surfaced from an old cemetary!

Our home was spared from flooding but we were without power for 4 days. I learned to cook any kind of food you an imagine on a grill and thank goodness Kyle liked to color because that was all we had to do.

That first experience with Floyd opened my eyes to how bad it can get and the effects it leaves. I am now perpared for every hurricane!!!!


E @ Scottsville said...

Goodness, that's something we never have to deal with here in Texas.... no hurricanes, rarely a tornado....

We just have scorching heat and have to ration our water.

Praise God y'all were safe!

Tamela said...

I think I could have handled seeing the dead livestock, but the coffins..heck no! That would have given me the hibby jeebys! I am terrified of cemeteries.

During the ice storm last year we learned to cook spaghetti on a grill! We didn't have power for about two weeks, while some people in other areas, months. So we were one of the fortunate ones for sure.

Post a Comment

Say what?!?