~Being the Mother of a boy, last from son up...to son down~

I remember.....

Friday, September 11, 2009

.........the exact spot where I was sitting on this very day 8 short years ago......do you? It was a day that changed all of our lives forever even if we did not personally know someone who perished on 9/11 in the attacks.

It was a beautiful morning as I sat at my desk working...okay maybe I wasn't really working...... anyway, one of the guys that worked in the shop came up and needed change for the drink machine. When I gave him the change he said "did you hear that the World Trade Center has been attacked?" Hearing the word "attacked" gave me chills as we all raced to the breakroom to turn on the small TV (complete with rabbit ears) to watch the live footage unfold.

The images I saw that day, the fire, the smoke, the screaming people as they ran down the streets looking for a safe place and innocent victims jumping from the buildings was vivid enough to bring tears to everyones eyes. No one spoke.....just watched and listened.

The phones at our office began to ring non stop, all seven lines, as people were calling to inform us and their family members. My after school sitter called to see if I wanted her to go pick up Kyle from school. Everyone was so unsure of what would happen next...if anything?

As the days passed you could not turn on the TV without it being coverage from 9/11. All regular programming had been cancelled and news updates were a constant reminder.

With each 9/11 anniversary that has passed, I always pause for a moment of silence and rememberance for those who lost their lives. But this year, it was different. This morning I was in a meeting that began at 8:30 with several other people and I asked that we please take a moment of silence to remember the victims. Each person closed their eyes and bowed their heads.

For me, this 9/11 anniversary has taken on a whole new meaning. You see, this passed year Kyle and I went to New York City and visited Ground Zero. After, seeing the massive whole in the ground, the tile memorials painted by school children and pictures of loved ones hung in the fence, my heart has been forever touched. I stood there, on the same street that everyone had been running down to find saftey, I touched the same white concrete benches that gave fire fighters a moment of rest and I saw the look in my sons eyes as his fingers linked through the barricaded fence where the towers once stood.

I hope we all continue to remember..........

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I wrote about this very thing this morning. It's a day that forever changed America, and the world. Great thoughts.

E @ Scottsville said...

Yep, I remember that morning... and all the little details too. The phone call from my sister telling me to turn on my TV, the horror we felt as we watched. The total 'unbelief' and awe of what we were seeing and the magnitude of the impact. I will never forget.

Post a Comment

Say what?!?