~Being the Mother of a boy, last from son up...to son down~

What are they trying to teach my kid????

Thursday, October 1, 2009

I know it has been awhile since my last post...sorry about that...but things have been pretty busy around here.

The good news is Kyle got his progress reports this week and it it safe to say that I don't have to ground him...hahahaha

Just kidding, he actually has always gotten good grades...thank goodness! This time around he got 4 A's, 1 B, and 1 C. I was totally expecting the C to be in math since that is the one subject he seems to struggle with the most. However, it was in Science...are you serious???? They have been working on the periodic table. For those of you who don't have kids or have been out of school longer than me let me refresh your memory. It's that stupid chemical chart that hung on the wall in your science class with all those little block thingy's with BOLD letters in them...yep, that thing my friend is the periodic table....ah, yes, you remember now!

O for Oxygen, H for Hydrogen, Li for Lithum, Z for Zinc, B for Boron

M for MY head hurts.....oh, I thought that was on there...my bad!

Anyway, Kyle had 24 problems to do for homework the other night for science. He had 2 left that he said he just couldn't get the answer to. They went a little something like this.....


___O3 + H2 + C6 = ___ O2 + H3 + C2


ARE YOU SERIOUS????? Now if I could solve this problem I would be able to build the Atom bomb and blow Osama Bin Ladin off the face of the earth!!!

I am sure I could have solved this problem "back in the day" when I was in school. But ya know what? I have come to the conclusion that the only reason I needed to retain this information from school is so when I grew up I would be able to help my own child with it!

Teacher's need to tell their students something like this..."now class, pay attention because even though you are NEVER going to use this information in your life EVER again you will need to take good notes so that 15-20 years down the road you can refer back to them to help your child complete their homework!"

So, now I owe an apology to my son for not taking better notes in school and that I am sorry my teacher did not inform me WHY I needed to retain this information. At least you still got 22 out of 24 correct.....that is still gonna get you an A....right?!?

6 comments:

E @ Scottsville said...

Oh my.... ya know, if your kid isn't planning to be either a Scientific guru or the next unibomber, why on earth do they torture US MOMS and make our kids go through that?

Uggggh. It's really just not right!

Oh, and congratulations on your big win. I saw that you'd won on Cathy's blog and I'm glad you did T.R.I.S.H. =0)

Cathy said...

Too funny! I know it's hard to tell our kids they have to do that stuff when you know they'll never use it. But what choice do we have. On the other hand, if I had to suffer with it so can they. ;-)

Unknown said...

Man I could have figured that out back in the day!! Now it just makes my head hurt just thinking about my chemistry class.

--Tamela (at work, don't tell!)

Nicki said...

It's funny how it can look somewhat familiar, but you can't quite remember how to do it. I had to go back and study a lot of old stuff for the GRE, and it was all so foreign.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I agree. Those problems always made me want to cry. 11 years later? never used the thing! I hate the periodic table!

Anonymous said...

HO3(g)+H2(g)+C6(s)=C4O2(g)+H3(g)+C2(s). You're welcome... Love, your wise older brother.

Post a Comment

Say what?!?